Traveling With Kids
Traveling with kids is fun for the whole family. In general, Kauai offers a safe family friendly traveling experience. There are many opportunities for families with children of all ages although some organized Kauai Activities have restrictions on young children.
When traveling with kids its good to know what experiences are available and match your families’ age and abilities. Kauai has something for everyone. Finding the right is experience for your family is key.
Kauai has many life-guarded beaches. Check out our best Kauai beaches guide to find the perfect place to bring your family during your next visit to Kauai. The safest place to enter the water with young children is Lydgate beach.
Lydgate beach offers a completely enclosed area where families can swim in the ocean without the worry of currents and waves. We always suggest your family using life-guarded beaches when planning on entering the water.
There are many great Kauai activities that are worth checking out if you have young children (under 6). Here are a couple to great experiences to get you started.
Smiths Tropical Gardens
Smith Tropical Gardens, home of the Most Traditional Kauai Luau is open daily from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Explore the grounds for a nominal fee. This 30-acre property nestled in the historic Wailua river valley is a neat, cheap experience for families. While roaming the property your family will observe peacocks, native birds, tropical flora, and historical Hawaii education.
Book Your Reservation Online: Kauai Luau Reservations
All ages can also attend the luau Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with advanced reservations.
- Children 2 and under : free
- Children 3-6 years old: $19.00/each
- Children 7-13 years old : $30.00/each
- Adults: $88.00/each
Here are a few more Kauai activities designed for families traveling with kids….
- Kauai Mini Golf – This is an eighteen hole mini golf course with excellent flora. As you put the course guests are educated on native, Hawaiian, and post European contact plants, trees and flowers. This is an awesome way to spend a few hours with the family.
- Kilauea Lighthouse Refuge – This is the most northern light house in the Hawaiian islands. Visiting the lighthouse offers incredible views and world class bird watching(Whale watching in the winter too). The Lighthouse Refuge is a federal bird sanctuary. View laysan albatross, shearwater, boobies, terns, and others. Use your national park pass for free admission.
- Kamokila Village – This is a replica of an ancient Hawaiian village. A great educational way to spend time with family.
- Kauai Chocolate Tour – This three hour tour is perfect for the whole family. Try new tropical fruits. see how chocolate is produced and enjoy a blind taste test of quality chocolate from around the tropical world.
- Kamalani Bridge – located on the south end of Lydgate park is volunteer built playground that will keep your child busy for hours. This is really neat playground that is maintained by the community.
With so much to do in a short vacation, your sure to find the perfect free or cheap activity for your upcoming family vacation. When traveling with kids its good to find the perfect activity for your families needs.
Many Kauai Activities and Tours allow children over six years old to participate in the fun. If you have a child six and under, its good to have some other activities planned when traveling with kids. Have more questions? Call 1-800-380-KAUAI(5282)